Feb 2, 2011

SAG Awards - Fashionably late!

Welcome, welcome!  I love seeing the gowns on the red carpets during this exciting awards season. Sure does make winter a little less blah, don't you think? 

Let's just jump right into it, shall we? Here are my top - and bottom - five looks from the 2011 SAG Awards!

No. 1. Mila Kunis
What can I say about this Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role nominee (won by The Fighter's Melissa Leo) that wasn't said yesterday? I've loved her since she was Jackie on That '70s Show, and she keeps justifying my girl-crush with every media appearance. Girl is flawless. Perfection. Gorgeousness personified. 

Credit: Kyle Rover/Startraks

I was so bummed to hear that she wasn't nominated for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar, but with her ah-may-zing crimson Alexander McQueen Resort 2011 strapless gown, she told the academy to eat-their-hearts-out. "It's probably the most comfortable dress I've ever worn," the 27-year-old said about the belted chiffon frock. Paired with over $300,000 worth of Cartier jewelry and soft ringlets (discussed yesterday), Mila made the top of the Best Dressed Lists over and over and over. Surprised?


No. 2 Lea Michele 
Sensing a pattern here? My top two fashion choices also won my award for most beauty-full as well. But it shouldn't come as a shock - these two ladies are the whole package.
Credit: Jason Merritt/Getty
Coming as no surprise to anyone who follows this 24-year-old's red carpet choices, Miss Michele once again donned a flawless Oscar de la Renta (or to be more specific, his Spring 2011 RTW Blush Crepe De Chine Caviar Bead Embroidered Gown). Adding a bit more glitter, she sported Tiffany & Co. diamonds valued at over $1 million. And though not pictured, the Glee starlet also carried around a Daniel Swarovski clutch to accent her champagne-hued, belted (one of the biggest trends of the night!) dress. 

No. 3. Claire Danes
Well, here you go! A new face on the page. The lovely Miss Claire Danes - an Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a TV Movie or Miniseries nominee (and eventual winner) for her title role in the HBO Original film Temple Grandin - looked über-enchanting in her floor-length Louis Vuitton. The romantic gown's hand-stitched silk black flowers and black velvet belt showed there's magic in the details.

Credit: Steve Granitz/WireImage
No. 4 Julia Stiles
Actually, this dress would probably have been my number 2 if it had been worn by someone different (again, the makeup! Booo). But, lo and behold, Miss Julia Stiles did make it onto a positive list of mine!! Maybe I'm maturing? Nah, I'm just a major sucker for ombre.

Photos: Getty
This breathtaking and impeccable navy-to-white Monique Lhuillier Pre-Fall 2011 is dramatic and romantic - a difficult combination to pull off with such ease. Her House of Lavande chandelier earrings are a perfect complement to the gown. 
(too bad I can't say the same thing about her face. Oh snap!)

No. 5 Julie Bowen
I had to include Carol Vessey Claire Dunphy Miss Julie Bowen in my list simply because of the risk she took!
Credit: Jeff Vespa/WireImage
She wore pants! To an awards show!! Now, I'm not a fan of pantsuits, but I've got to give her serious props. She looked sleek, elegant and modern in her black Malandrino gown pants, and I have to applaud her for going against the grain. (And how gorgeous is her face and hair?)

And now for my bottom 5:

No 1. January Jones
Some people love her fashion risks, but I tend to think she looks tacky most of the time. I'm just not a fan of her red-carpet choices (I thought she looked horrific in that red Versace at the Golden Globes), and her dress at the SAG awards proved to me that I'm not wrong.
Credit: Jeff Vespa/WireImage
For me, there are some fashionistas that never miss the mark (Diane Kruger, I'm looking at you), but I wouldn't put Miss Jones anywhere near the term "fashionista." Sure, she likes designer gowns and doesn't play it safe, but instead of looking classic (or classy for that matter), she goes over-the-top and trendy. This ornate Carolina Herrera gown was just too much for me (and what is with that hair flop??).

No. 2 Kate Mara
OK, so apparently this lass had a few lines in Iron Man 2 and currently stars in the James Franco flick 127 Hours (which I really want to see), but I actually have no idea who she is. Regardless, she looked sloppy at the SAG awards so she made my list. 

Credit
Clad in an ill-fitting dusty rose-ish Herve Leger, Miss Mara didn't win any favors with that ginormous headband or too-tight bun. The dress color accented the red undertones of her skin and the heavy eye makeup and not-heavy-enough lips made her look washed out.

No. 4 Angie Harmon
Oh.... no. Just no. Penelope Cruz already did this, and did it SO much better.


Miss Harmon looks like a beaded and feathered Barbie in this bubble-gum pink Monique Lhuillier nightmare fairytale dress. Miss Harmon tweeted before the event: "The EXCITEMENT... I feel like its my wedding day!!! THE REVEAL!!!!" But, I wish she would have just stayed home. (I've gotta say, though, how happy does she look? That does make her look beautiful. Just ignore the dress. And the hair.)

No. 5 Jayma Mays
I was pushing it on this one, because I do think she looks decent. But the Glee star just looks so boring in this ill-fitting peachy-blush Jenny Packham frock.

Now that's how it should have looked - flowy, breezy, effortless. But instead, Miss Mays looked all sorts of frumpy and the too-dark silver sandals just pull the look down even more.

Do you agree with my choices? Who do you think deserves best/worst dressed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think